Monday 14 March 2016

Ad Pick of the Week: Sunny Leone’s anti-smoking ad film Sonia Bhatnagar’s favourite

Set in the back drop of a village, the campaign created huge buzz even before its release. Its success is highly credited to its unique ensemble cast that includes Sunny Leone, AlokNath and Deepak Dobriyal.
This anti-smoking campaign received positive response from both the critics and audience. It has by far received 4,398,525 hits on YouTube and yet going strong on various social media platforms. This week, when we conversed with Sonia Bhatnagar, Executive Creative Director, JWT Delhi, she mentioned of Aur Dikhao’s anti-smoking ad film being her favourite.
Which ad film grabbed your attention in past few days and why?
There aren’t too many great ads on tv these days. Or if there are, I haven’t seen them. But there’s one I happened to chance upon the other day and I thought it was cool, the anti-smoking ad featuring Sunny Leone.
I thought it was cool mainly because it was done with a decidedly light touch. They didn’t make heavy weather of the message, they had fun saying it. It’s funny and dark at the same time. That’s refreshing to watch.
I like the fact that the whole family wants his last wish to be realized. No bloody moralizing for once. And sanskari AlokNath continues to laugh at his own sanskaari myth. Also most importantly we don’t do sexy ads very well; we are too complexed about sex in general so it’s great to see something that doesen’t stretch the premise. India’s most googled celebrity has been used cleverly for once. She’s looking fantastic and plays her part effortlessly.
If given a chance, what changes would you like to make into it?
I’d perhaps make it less slapstick and more real. They were going there but meandered more than once into slapstick. I’d go easy on the flickering bulb, yes it’s a good cliché to use for the ad but it gets boring how much in your face it is.
SunnyDid the advertisement make you want to buy the product?
Well, my husband is a trying- to – quit smoking and he showed me the ad. Why do you think he noticed it? Yes, Sunny Leone but I think it home too.
Humour and Emotions, what works most in India?
Humour with emotion. Emotion with some humour thrown in. That’s my lethal combo, always.
What three things should keep in mind while making an ad?
For me it’s always been who you’re talking to, how differently are you saying it andwould I get a WhatsApp form my daughter who hates everything saying “not bad, Mom”.
Please give your last word for this ad and rate the ad out of 10.
My last word on this ad is actually two. Well done. I would give it a 7.
Source: IndianMediaBook - Media